Sunday, August 14, 2011

1

The Enchantment Lakes area is the official (and appropriate) name of a large area of spectacular mountains, lakes, forests and glaciers in the Cascade Mountains in western Washington. It belongs to the U.S. Forest Service and is part of the Okanogon-Wenatchee National Forest.

Just before this trip, I went on an incredible whale-watching tour in Puget Sound, where I saw 5 orcas, and various seals, dolphins and bald eagles.  See my photos on Facebook if you haven't already.

This adventure started in Leavenworth, WA, to pick up my permit.  The number of campers allowed in this area is very limited, to protect the ecology.  As a result, permits are hard to get and sell out months in advance.  I was very fortunate to get one.

Note:  You can enlarge any photo by clicking on it.

This is a very cute city done entirely in a Bavarian/Alpine theme.  They have really outdone themselves. Virtually every building is in this style, and all of the signs are wooden with script lettering.  There are no backlit or neon signs.  Even the national chains like Safeway or Starbucks have had to modify their logos to a style that fits in.

 The trail begins along the banks of the rushing Wenatchee River.  On Sunday I hiked a grueling 5.9 miles, gaining 3580 feet in elevation.

 Some parts of the trail were steep and rocky like this...

 ...while others were more level and went through lush forests.

 Sometimes the trail was nothing but rocks.

"Ground level" slowly disappeared from view, and I went through several different and fascinating ecosystems as I trekked higher and farther. 

Not only was the climb long and uphill, but the air got thinner as the altitude increased.  I got "out of breath" more easily and had to take some breaks.  This lovely stream provided a nice place to rest for a few minutes.



 This is just one of the many waterfalls I encountered during my trip.



When I reached Nada Lake I was exhausted, but it was worth all the effort!  This is where I set up camp.  Elevation 4880 feet.

Nada Lake

I have no idea why they named it "Nada," as this lake is definitely something!


I camped right by the lake.  This is what I woke up to each morning.


You can see a sort of geyser of water on the mountainside.  This is coming out of a 36-inch diameter pipe that transfers water from Snow Lake higher up.  This improves the water flow in Icicle Creek which feeds off the lake and ultimately helps support the state fish hatchery downstream.


This is driven simply by gravity.  There is no pump.  When the sun hits it at the right angle it has a rainbow effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment